Children: $20.00 (12 and under)
The Annual Island Fishing Derby, organized by The St. Joseph Island Hunters and Anglers Association, coincides with Ontario’s Free Fishing Week every July. The Free Fishing Week is an invitation for all Canadian families to get outdoors and enjoy the fun of fishing together. With this in mind the Hunters and Anglers Association has started a fishing derby for children and adults that gives fishermen the ability to fish from their docks or from boats on Ontario waters that come in contact with St. Joseph Island. This also includes the waters along the North shore from Bar River to Thessalon.
When contestants register, they are provided with an official contest ruler so they can take a picture of their catch and submit it to our email site via cell phones, tablets or home computers for inclusion in the derby. The pictures are reviewed each day and added to our online fishing gallery with the leaders going to a leader board, so the participants can see how they have placed. There are separate categories for children and adults with cash prizes (70% of the registration income) awarded for the longest fish caught in each species category.
The Annual Island Fishing Derby promotes ‘catch and release’ because the caught fish can be released after it has been photographed, and because reporting the catch relies on digital technology, participants can have their fish recorded without having to travel to a weigh-in station. Fish species to be included in the derby are selected prior to the tournament’s start date, and in the first year, the derby included pike, bass, pickerel, perch, salmon and cisco. The Derby runs for the entire week beginning Saturday at 6:00 a.m., continuing through the week, and finishing the following Sunday at noon. The Annual Fishing Derby promotes the sport of fishing by encouraging our younger Canadians to get involved and enjoy the sport. It also encourages good conservation practises and sportsmanship. All registration forms, rules and dates are provided on the SJIHA website.
Cash payout: 70% of registration with cash prizes based on participation
Location: Ontario waters in contact with St. Joseph Island including waters along the North Shore from Bar River to Thessalon
Species: Bass/Pike/Perch/Pickerel/Salmon/Lake Herring (Cisco)
Prizes: Will be awarded for the longest fish in each category based on a photo (MEASURING DEVICE DETAILS WILL BE PROVIDED AT REGISTRATION) with mystery prizes
Contacts: Richard Winter – (705) 246-1183 or John Paterson – (705) 246-3352
Email Pictures to: firstname.lastname@example.org
IN CONJUNCTION WITH ONTARIO’S FREE FISHING WEEK
Island Fishing Derby Rules
By entering the 2016 Island Fishing Derby, all participants declare that they have an understanding of all tournament rules and agree to abide by them.
- You are responsible for your safety and actions at all times before, during and after the Island Fishing Derby. Each entrant, upon registration to compete in the derby, agrees that he/she will not hold the Sponsors or Hosts liable for any kind of accident that might occur during the Island Fishing Derby and will sign a waiver form when registering.
- Registration and payment will only be on Friday, July 1st from 12:00 Noon to 8:00 p.m. or on Saturday, July 2nd from 8:00 a.m.to noon at the Hunters and Anglers Conservation Centre, 1802 20th Side Road. Registration closes at noon on the 2nd with no further registrations allowed.
- All Ontario fishing regulations must be abided by or you may be disqualified.
- All regulations set forth by Transport Canada must be abided by. Owners MUST comply with all safety requirements and have their Pleasure Craft Operators Card as per Transport Canada regulations.
- Thanks to the Government of Ontario, you don’t need a fishing license to fish this week. Check out ontariofamilyfishing.com for more details.
- Entries are non-transferable.
- The Island Fishing Derby will commence at 6:00 a.m. on July 2nd, 2016 and end at 12:00 noon on July 10th. No exceptions.
- Official Measuring: Once a fish is caught, the participant is responsible for measuring their catch and taking a legible photo that shows the exact length measured in centimetres from the longest point at the front of the fish to the fork in the centre of the tail rounded up to the nearest half centimetre. All photos must be taken on an official Island Fishing Derby ruler with the appropriate validation stickers. Judges must be able to determine length from the photo or entry will be disqualified. If fish is longer than 1 metre, then still take the picture on our measuring device and supply an accurate measurement with your entry.
- Once the photo is taken, please email to email@example.com
- with your name and measured length or an 8 x 10 photo can be brought to the Hunters and Anglers Conservation Centre between 10am and noon on July 10th, 2016.
- 3 photos per species per entrant will be allowed.
- Derby updates will be posted regularly on our website sjiha.ca
- In the case of a tie, the first entry received will be the winner.
- All decisions of the Derby Officials are final and may not be protested.
- You must be in attendance at the awards ceremony on July 10th to receive mystery prizes.
- Cash prizes for the largest fish categories will be awarded even if you are not in attendance at the awards ceremony.