Click here to see this year’s Gallery of fish caught! Email the photos of your fish to email@example.com
SIXTH ANNUAL ISLAND FISHING DERBY RULES (or see below)
The Annual Island Fishing Derby will help to promote St. Joseph Island and to showcase the Conservation Centre and activities of the St. Joseph Island Hunters and Anglers. The event will cover any Ontario waters in contact with St. Joseph Island including waters along the north shore from Bar River to Thessalon and be open to all levels of anglers from kids fishing from a dock to anglers fishing in fully equipped boats.
The 2019 Derby will run from 6 am on June 29th to noon on July 7th to coincide with the Ontario Government’s Free Fishing Week.
This is a cash tournament with 70% of derby proceeds as payout.
Species included in the derby will be: bass/pike/perch/pickerel/salmon (including trout) and lake herring (cisco). Prizes will be awarded for the longest fish in each category and will be based on a photograph of the fish, so catch and release will be possible. Additional mystery prizes will also be awarded.
We will be providing the tournament rules and a measuring device when you register on June 28th, beginning at noon to 8 p.m. to June 29th at 8:00 a.m. until noon. You will be given an outline about how the photograph must be taken and submitted. A maximum of 3 photos can be entered for each species per registered angler.
A meal (July 7th awards) is included with your registration and you must be available at the presentation event on July 7th to receive mystery prizes. Cash prizes for the largest fish categories will be awarded to the winners even if they are not in attendance at the awards ceremony. Prizes will be presented after 4 pm on July 7th at the Hunters and Anglers Conservation Centre, located at 1802, 20th Side Road, St. Joseph Island.
You must pre-register for this derby and registration and payment will take place on Friday, June 28th from noon till 8 pm and on Saturday, June 29th from 8 am till noon at the St. Joseph Island Hunters and Anglers Conservation Centre, 1802 20th side road.
Island Fishing Derby Rules
1. By entering the 2019 Island Fishing Derby, all participants declare that they have an understanding of all tournament rules and agree to abide by them.
2. You are responsible for your safety and actions at all times before, during and after the Island Fishing Derby. Each entrant, upon registration to compete in the derby, agrees that he/she will not hold the Sponsors or Hosts liable for any kind of accident that might occur during the Island Fishing Derby and will sign a waiver form when registering.
3. Registration and payment will only be on Friday, June 28th from 12:00 Noon to 8:00 p.m. or on Saturday, June 29th from 8:00 a.m.to noon at the Hunters and Anglers Conservation Centre, 1802 20th Sideroad. Registration closes at noon on June 29th with no further registrations allowed.
4. All Ontario fishing regulations must be abided by or you may be disqualified.
5. All regulations set forth by Transport Canada must be abided by. Owners MUST comply with all safety requirements and have their Pleasure Craft Operators Card as per Transport Canada regulations.
6. Thanks to the Government of Ontario, you don’t need a fishing license to fish this week. Check out www.ontariofamilyfishing.com for more details.
7. Entries are non-transferable.
8. The Island Fishing Derby will commence at 6:00 a.m. on June 29th, 2019 and end at 12:00 noon on July 7th. No exceptions.
9. Official Measuring: Once a fish is caught, the participant is responsible for measuring their catch and taking a legible photo that shows the exact length measured in centimetres from the longest point at the front of the fish to the fork in the centre of the tail rounded up to the nearest half centimetre. All photos must be taken on an official Island Fishing Derby ruler with the appropriate validation stickers. Judges must be able to determine length from the photo or entry will be disqualified. If fish is longer than 1 metre, then still take the picture on our measuring device and supply an accurate measurement with your entry.
10. Once the photo is taken, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and measured length or an 8 x 10 photo can be brought to the Hunters and Anglers Conservation Centre between 10 am and noon on July 7th, 2019.
11. 3 photos per species per entrant will be allowed.
12. Derby updates will be posted regularly on our website www.sjiha.ca
13. In the case of a tie, the first entry received will be the winner.
14. All decisions of the Derby Officials are final and may not be protested.
15. You must be in attendance at the awards ceremony on July 7th to receive draw prizes.
16. Winners of the cash prizes for the longest fish categories are not required to be in attendance at the awards ceremony in order to receive their cash prize. Awards start with dinner at 4 pm, July 7th followed by presentations.