The Wild Game Dinner is a short 2 months away, and there is much work to do to prepare. Please add your support to the planning. The second planning meeting for the dinner is Monday, December 16, at 7:30 p.m., at the Conservation Centre. Volunteers will also be needed on the day of the dinner, Saturday, January 25, 2020. Your help and ideas are greatly appreciated.
ARE YOUR TREES DYING? Come learn why…Thursday, November 14th at 7:30, at the SJI Hunters and Anglers Conservation Centre, Mike Francis, Forest Health Technical Specialist with the MNRF, will speak about Forest Health conditions in the Sault Ste. Marie District in 2019. He will provide updates on pests such as forest tent caterpillars, spruce budworm, brown spot needle blight, gypsy moth, emerald ash borer and beech bark disease.
Construction of a Garage
St Joseph Island Hunters and Anglers
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
To supply and install one 24 x 32 foot garage on a reinforced concrete pad with either a poured curb or 1 row of blocks with appropriate grading. Structure to be a framed 2 x 6 wall with 10 mm OSB sheeting and Typar, 1 man-door (we will supply), 1 – 8 x 10 insulated roll-up door, 1 window (size TBD). Roof structure to be 4/12 pitch trusses with 1/2 inch spruce sheeting C/W H clips and steel roofing (24 gauge) to match existing building. Roof to have ridge venting. Exterior walls finished with white vinyl siding, aluminum soffits and facia. All applicants must have proof of WSIB and liability insurance. Building permits are responsibility of the contractor. Completion date July 31st, 2020. Site visit Tuesday November 5th at 9am. More info call – 705-246-3352
Submission deadline 12 pm Wednesday November 27th, 2019 to: St. Joseph Island Hunters and Anglers 1802 20th Side Road, P.O. Box 41, Richards Landing, ON, P0R 1J0 marked ‘Garage Package’
The Hunters Safety Course, hosted annually by The SJI Hunters and Anglers, begins Friday evening, November 1 and continues for full days Saturday and Sunday, November 2 and 3. The Club will provide a lunch on both Saturday and Sunday. Please call Tolbert Stinson, 705 246 3093, for further information about times, fees and course content.
Come join the Fireside Chat and Potluck with the MNRF! Thursday, August 8th at the SJI Conservation Centre, beginning at 5:00 p.m. Meet the new District Director, the Wildlife Biologist and the C.O.s who can answer your questions and hear your comments about wildlife management and new hunting and fishing regulations and options. The evening will begin with a fun Tomahawk Throw. St. Joseph Island Hunters and Anglers are providing the main course of a potluck meal. Bring your favourite dish and a beverage of your choice.
Hello Members of the St. Joseph Hunters and Anglers Association. Your Club will be very active participating in many community events this summer. Not only are these activities significant fund-raisers for the Club, they contribute to our community in a big way. Your participation is needed! Helping will give you a chance to meet new club members and to have fun while you lend a hand. Our schedule for events this year follows:
2019 SUMMER EVENT SCHEDULE
- Island Fishing Derby, June 29th to July 7th. Supper and prizes on the 7th of July – John Paterson; Neil Caughill
- Children’s weeklong summer camp with the Kensington Conservancy, July 8th to July 12th. Lunch each day -Teresa Caughill
- Go North Music Festival – Richards Landing, Saturday July 13th. Cooking burgers, sausage, meat ball subs and this year, onion rings. – Neil Caughill
- Richards Landing Community Night cooking burgers, sausage and deer tales on Friday July 26th. Neil Caughill; John Paterson
- Hilton Beach Car Show and Poker Run Boat Race, July 27th cooking deer tales. John Paterson
- Hilton Beach Community Night, August 3rd cooking deer tales. John Paterson
- Meet and Greet Fireside Chat with the MNRF, Thursday night (General Meeting), August 8th. Food to be determined but usually potluck and some leftovers from the Wild Game Dinner. John Paterson
- Youth Ranger Program 3 days in August – dates to be determined. John Paterson; Wayne Ingram.
- Jocelyn Community Harvest Fest on the Labour Day weekend, Saturday, August 31, to serve deer tales. John Paterson
EVENTS FOLLOWING THE SUMMER
Next comes the Awe day. This will be on Saturday September 14th: men will prepare the meals and serve the women. Tomahawk throwing, Disc Golf, Bread making, how to make a snare, fire building competition. Sigrid Robinson; Neil Caughill
The Hunters Safety Course (Gun Course) run by Reg and Jane Perry is usually in October, but the date is yet to be determined. We could serve a light lunch on the Saturday and Sunday. Jane Perry; Tolbert Stinson
Our Annual Christmas Potluck and Photo Contest will be the first Saturday in December: December 7, 2019.